This might be my favorite salad recipe to date. Sweet, zesty, crunchy, fresh, chewy- it has all the elements of a flavor explosion in your mouth- and it's why I chose this specific recipe for this month, talking all about bringing more JOY into cooking and eating. It's simple- cook the couscous, add the other elements, and enjoy-- but it is SO flavor packed. It makes a great lunch or summer side alongside your favorite grilled protein!
Cherry, Mint and Walnut Couscous Salad
1 cup Israeli couscous (need it gluten-free? I recommend using buckwheat in place of couscous)
1/2 cup pitted cherries
3 tbsp fresh chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp orange zest
pinch sea salt
To cook couscous:
1. Bring 1 1/4 cups water or broth to a boil. Add 1 cup couscous and a pinch of salt.
2. Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove cover let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. Cool completely before adding remaining ingredients.
1. Toss cooled couscous with cherries, mint and walnuts.
2. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, zest, olive oil and sea salt.
3. Toss salad with dressing. Mix well and season to taste.