Friends, this one is GOOD. My kids DEVOURED it, I devoured it, we all gobbled it up and barely had enough for lunch the next day (but we did, phew!). With slightly sweet white sweet potatoes (Japanese- they're reddish-purple on the outside!)- though you could totally use orange or just regular russet, the classic carrots, celery and onion, peas, shredded chicken, fresh sage and a thickened broth- this takes chicken pot pie to a whole new (easy!) level. Of course I still love the good 'ol crusted one, but this is a good weeknight change. Enjoy- and don't forget to tag me @supermamasociety when you try it!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Serves 4-6 🖨: Print Recipe
1 tbsp avocado oil or ghee 1 medium onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic 2 carrots, peeled and diced 2 stalks celery, peeled and diced 2 cups chopped sweet potato (I used white sweet potato, here- you could use regular as well). 3 cups cooked shredded chicken 4-5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage (fresh thyme would work well, too) 1 bay leaf 1/2 tsp sea salt (more to taste) + black pepper (to taste)
1/2 cup frozen peas 2 tbsp arrowroot or tapioca starch
1/4 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (optional- but SO good)
1. Heat oil to medium in a large soup pot or dutch oven. Add onion and cook until translucent.
2. Stir in garlic. Add carrots and celery and cook until starting to soften. Stir in chicken, sweet potatoes, broth, herbs and spices.
3. Bring to a rolling simmer. Cover and let simmer until vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes). PS- you could also do all of the above in the instant pot. Cook for 10, then proceed.
4. Remove 1 cup of broth. Add in peas to lightly cook. Meanwhile, to broth whisk in arrowroot, smoothing out lumps and stir into soup.
5. Add cream if using (I highly recommend it!). Serve with some crusty bread or my favorite simple mills crackers. Enjoy!