October just felt like the right time to share a bright orange, seasonal soup, doesn't it? I love the contrast of sweet and just a little bit of spice, in this simple. family-friendly recipe- and I think you will, too!
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 small sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
2 small carrots, peeled + chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 3-4 cups)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2-1 cup full-fat coconut milk
toasted almonds, to top
1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, heat coconut oil to medium.
2. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until translucent.
3. Add spices and salt and stir to toast for 10-15 seconds.
4. Add carrots, celery and butternut squash snd stir to combine.
5. Cover with chicken broth then cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer 20-30 minutes until all ingredients are soft.
6. Let cool slightly before transferring to high-speed blender or food processor.
7. Blend until mixture is thick and creamy. Slowly blend in coconut milk, starting with 1/2 cup, until desired consistency is reached. Season to taste and serve with toasted almonds.