Fall is casserole season! I love a good one-pan meal, and this one utilizes one of my favorite fall vegetables: spaghetti squash!
Spaghetti squash is an awesome, fiber-rich addition to your meals or alternative to pasta. It's high in: - B-Vitamins
- Vitamin C
This recipe is both an awesome make-ahead option (prep the shredded chicken ahead and use it in multiple meals-- same with the pesto!) and easy to meal prep (it keeps well in the fridge for days, since it's already pre-cooked-- just pop it in the oven to heat and serve!). Don't let the multiple components deter you- it is *SO* simple, and equally as delicious!
Pesto Spaghetti Squash Bake
1 spaghetti squash roasted or steamed and meat removed.
3/4 cup spinach almond pesto (or pesto of choice)
2 cups shredded chicken
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Spray an 8x8" glass dish with avocado or coconut oil.
2. Toss cooked spaghetti squash with pesto, chicken and sun dried tomatoes, adding more pesto as needed to coat evenly.
3. Spread mixture evenly into baking dish. Stays well in fridge like this, covered, for 3-4 days.
4. When ready to cook, Preheat oven to 375. Top with parmesan and bake uncovered, 15-20 minutes. Serve hot.
To Cook Spaghetti Squash:
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Slice off bottom of spaghetti squash to allow for more control when
2. Slice in half and scoop out seeds.
3. Spray or grease a glass or metal baking pan/sheet.
4. Place squash, cut-side down, on baking sheet or pan.
5. Roast in oven for 45 minutes-1 hour
or cook on rack with 1 cup water in Instant Pot for 10 minutes. Let cool slightly before scooping out meat with a fork.
Spinach Almond Pesto:
1/2 cup almonds, raw or soaked and drained (will increase digestibility)
2 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup basil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp parmesan cheese OR nutritional yeast (dairy-free)
2-4 tbsp lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
1. In a food processor or blender, add almonds, baby spinach, basil, garlic, parmesan or nutritional yeast and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Pulse until combined.
2. Letting motor run, slowly drizzle olive oil until thick paste. Taste for seasoning, adding more lemon juice or sea salt as needed. Add more olive oil (with motor running) as needed
to reach desired consistency.